In today’s post, I would like to share with you some basic and interesting facts about the Maldives. I learned most of this knowledge from the largely friendly locals on the island where Anantara Dhigu is located.
So, lets begin. Here are the fun facts about the Maldives:
- The country’s population consists of 100% Muslims.
- There are 19 Atolls in the Maldives. What’s an atoll? It is a space of land that includes a number of islands. Read here for more information.
- Male – the capital city – is in the center of the Maldives.
- The currency used in the resort is the US Dollar.
- A free visa upon arrival at the airport is provided for all nationalities.
- In the Maldivian ocean, a dark blue patch of water indicates that the sea level is deep in that area. The light blue waters are naturally shallow.
- Cloudy days in the island don’t mean that you can’t get a nice tan. In fact, the tan will be even stronger than on sunny days! As long as it’s not raining, then you should hit those sun loungers whether it’s sunny or cloudy 🙂
- You can predict a good sunset from the ocean tide. Generally, when the tide is low, the sky becomes cloudy and it becomes difficult to see the sunset. Make sure you don’t miss the beautiful sunset on this island. It’s one of the highlights.
- The best time to visit the Maldives is between September to April. May, June, July and August are the rainy season.
Now leaving you with some photos from a sunset photo shoot that we did at Anantara Veli resort.